Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Back from Italy

We have returned from Italy. It was a wonderful trip. We have seen enough art to satisfy us for the rest of our lives. I thoroughly enjoyed the Ancient Roman history stuff. I don't know why, but I am fascinated by the excesses of the Emperors, particularly Augustus and Nero. Nero built himself a massive palace in Rome that spanned 3 of its major hills. The exterior of the buildings were pure gold. You can see some of the ruins near the forum. The subsequent emperors were so embarrassed by him that they immediately dismantled his palace upon his death.

The powerful families in Florence were the same way. I was blown away by the Medici Chapel in Florence. The mausoleum inside is a massive structure partially designed by Michealangelo that took over 200 years to build. It is pure marble, all the way to the ceiling (it's several stories high). Whitney is concerned when I say I want to be buried that way.

It is amazing to see how high Rome is compared to the era of the Republic and the emperors. It now stands about 25 feet higher, because the city has been built on top of itself so many times.

Whitney's favorite part was eating at a tiny restaurant on a narrow side street in Venice (the food was amazing), and then escaping a downpour under a canopy in a little piazza.

Anyway, we had an amazing time. Here is a link to our entire picture album:
http://picasaweb.google.com/SparhawkRGC/Italy200802

25 comments:

debora said...

Stop spamming.

Rob said...

ouch

Rob said...

I guess that was too many posts

Lindsay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lindsay said...

Stop hacking.

You know who you are.

It's great to hear about your trip, Rob. Thanks for sharing! Some day, maybe we'll get there, too. But we'll probably be old geezers by then.

Carly said...

What the heck:


Anyway, glad you had fun and glad you arrived back safely. I like the pics, thanks for posting!

Scott said...

Wow Mom, I think you may have spent too much time on the Internet recently.
Looks like it was a fun trip, sweet pictures.

debora said...

What?!!!! Of course that was NOT my comment. Stop the identity theft whoever you are-Bob, Sean, Tadd?
I'm so glad you had a wonderful trip and are back safe and sound.
Whitney sorry you have to put up with the Crockett sense of humor.
I have no control over it.
Love you guys.

Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott said...

Ok now someone hacked mine

Tadd said...

um okay.. F.Y.I. to all of you Crockett household computer users, it is not that hard to hack onto someone's account if someone has not logged out of theirs! For example, this is Cindy and I am on Tadd's. You people just need to remember to log out!

P.S. sweet pics Rob!! I am wayyyyy jealous.
--Cindy

NateDawg said...

lakatao.......

Tadd said...

*takes out shotgun*

Carly said...

*takes shotgun away from Tadd and scolds Dad for leaving the shotgun within easy reach*

NateDawg said...

shut up

Lindsay said...

This post has been seriously hijacked.

I think Rob got way offended by "Mom's" comment and never came back. Way to go guys. :P

Rob said...

No. I thought mom was half-joking, considering whitney and I took over the "family" blog for the past week or so. But then I realized it was one of the twirp boys.

debora said...

yeah Twirp Tadd was responsible.

Tadd said...

lakatao...

KC said...

I'm never commenting again

Emily said...

Hey, this is Jason's wife Emily. I hope it's okay to interrupt the Crockett family comment war. I was looking at the Italy pictures while I sit here listening to the BYU game on the internet. I went from wishing I was at the BYU game to wishing I was in Italy. Awesome pictures! I'm jealous of course. Glad you guys had a good time.

Lindsay said...

Ahh, a pleasant, normal comment. Thanks Emily!

(Although the other comments are amusing. Except for like a towel)

Carly said...

Ha ha ha...."Like a towel." Dumbest fake word ever. "Conche" "chickabody" and "escimonee" were much better.

Sean said...

Conchie....

NateDawg said...

how bout onosinkoponty