Saturday, September 13, 2008

PASS or FAIL?

The fateful results day was nearing. Rob's anxiety was building by the day. But Friday, Sept. 12th it verifiably shot through the roof when a colleague at work (and fellow results waiter) told him that there was a rumor that results would be out today, Saturday, Sept. 13th. Rob was immediately a mess. I ran up from my office two floors below to see if I could calm him down. "Snap out of it!" I said. The rest of the evening he was fairly calm. I distracted him with a big dinner and get together with some friends, but when the house was quiet and everyone was gone, our little worrier kicked it into high gear. It was a long night for Rob. I don't think he slept for more than a couple hours.

Finally, at 8:00am, he snuck out of bed. I stayed in bed as he went downstairs. I figured I would let him have some alone time. 40 minutes later, I still hadn't heard anything and then his phone rang. I heard his muffled voice and decided that if someone else was talking to him then I should be talking to him. So I crept downstairs. He got off the phone. . . RESULTS WERE IN! But would he look?? NO!! He couldn't do it. He was crippled with fear and self-doubt. I assured him that I would love him still, pass or fail. But finally after 15 minutes I couldn't take it anymore. "Just look!! For crying out loud!" He scrolled down the list of BAR numbers with Pass or Fail listed beside them SO SLOWLY, pausing periodically to look over at me for support. . . .

When we got to his number 18761. . . PASS!!!!! Rob screamed. I screamed. I clapped!!!
Way to go babe!! You are amazing!! I knew you would pass. Thank you for being so wonderful. I am so proud of you.

Whew, glad that is over!

15 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ha, good story, Whitney. That was funny! What a worrywart!

Congratulations Rob! Never doubted it. Now you can really relax, right?

Side note: oh, to slip out of bed at 8:00 AM!

debora said...

Oh Whitney, as I read your story I had flashbacks of all Rob's growing up years and the intense fretting and worrying he would go through. How nice to hand that over to you.
Rob, I honestly never doubted for a second that you would pass.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
You two are good for each other.

Kirk said...

Congratulations Rob

Kelli said...

Congrats Roberto! And thanks for the delish dinner at Brick Oven. Kirk and I quite enjoyed it.

Although, your passing the BAR on your first try doesn't help your reputation as one of two favorite/perfect Crockett children. (The other one is Lindsay).

Carly said...

Way to go Rob!

Ryan said...

Nice work, Rob. GREAT news! Don't forget the little people.

KC said...

you should go to a bar.

Jenni said...

Great job Rob! I've got a lawyer cousin!!!

<3 Jenni Ball

Carly said...

It would be pretty funny if in fact Rob had actually failed. I mean, funny for the story, not in real life.

debora said...

Carly, you are showing your somewhat slightly sadistic Crockett sense of humor.
Unrelated side note: Very cool avatars Ryan and Casey. Kirk?

Bob C said...

Congratulations Rob. Save the fretting for the important stuff, like where is this morning's sport's section?

Dad

Rob said...

Thanks guys. It is a good feeling to have this behind me.javascript:void(0)

Carly said...

That's too bad Rob, I didn't know your javascript was void.

Scott said...

All of this studying and test taking has made Rob part man part machine.

Carly said...

Oh and sidenote to Kelli and Kirk: to make it less obvious that you guys are spending so much time together, try posting more than 2 minutes apart. Just a suggestion.

hahahaha.